Congratulations! You are almost there! The end of your internship or practicum hours is fast approaching, and the relationship with your supervisor may soon be ending. What final questions can you ask your supervisor to help you feel more prepared as you begin the next step in your journey to becoming a school psychologist? I’m sharing three unique questions with you below! If you want to watch a replay of the live recording where I discuss this topic, please click here.
Question #1: What Did They Notice This Year?
School psychs are the eyes and ears of their school, putting them in a unique position to understand the ins and outs of their school site. Take a moment to connect with your supervisor and reflect on the following questions. Discussing your findings with other school psych students may also be beneficial to see how their schools differ from yours.
- What did we notice about referrals? What were teachers most concerned about?
- Did you see any patterns regarding concerns from parents?
- Were there any trends with students on your counseling load?
- What percentage of students qualified for special education that you assessed?
- What overall themes did you notice this school year?
Question #2 – What Feedback Can You Provide Me With?
You spent countless hours with your supervisor, and they watched you learn and grow into the amazing school psych-to be you are today. Take this opportunity to ask your supervisor specific questions about your current skills. Here are a few suggestions!
- What were my strengths?
- Are there areas where I could use improvement?
- What areas do I need more practice in?
- If I want to attend conferences in the future, which ones would benefit me most?
Question #3 – How do They Organize Themselves For the Start of A Year?
The end of the school year is always full of excitement! But amid the anticipation for summer break, you may be thinking ahead already to the fall. What do you remember your supervisor did last fall? If you cannot remember, go ahead and ask now. Don’t forget to jot down their answers!
- What do you do during the few days before the students return to get yourself organized?
- Who on your team do you reach out to first – your administrator or someone else?
- When you have someone new on your assessment team, how do you start building those relationships?
Official registration for our 4th annual Summer Boot Camp is right around the corner! Be sure to get on our waitlist TODAY, so we can keep you updated on essential details, like when registration opens!
How would you like to receive an exclusive FREEBIE? If you sign up for Summer Boot Camp within the first couple of weeks, you will receive access to some of our favorite Summer Boot Camp replays from last year for FREE!